Learning new little tricks either in Photoshop or Lightroom is always fun for me. It seems that a trend lately is to give your photos this matte effect. There are apps out there that do this simple little trick for you on your phones and there’s a simple little trick you can do right on your computer in your editing software.
Here are the steps:
- Open up any photo you want to edit.
- Do any edits you would normally make.
- Go to your Tone Curve or just Curve, all depending on the program you’re using.
There are three steps:
- Click on the little box in the lower right corner to close the adjustments section.
- Click on the line about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way up the slider.
- Drag the very end of the slider up until your photo is set to your liking.
And then of course export or save. If you like the look and want to save it as a preset, just go up to Develop in the main menu of Lightroom, select New Preset, name it, and then Create. Doing that, you now have a ‘one click’ option.
Here are two examples of photos where I used the matte effect.
Both photos are taken at J Dusi Wines.
It’s as simple as that!